Friday, May 10, 2013

In The Zone


It's been decades since I've "competed" in a swim meet. I must've been about 10 years old. I remember diving off the block, trying to swim fast, Coach Pickering yelling "Pull, Sally, pull!" from the side of the pool as the other swimmers pulled ahead of me. I always finished last or next to last. But, hey, they gave ribbons for 5th and 6th place back then, so I was happy. 
Look who showed up

I was having flashbacks to those days during the Colonies Zone Swim Meet at George Mason U. Team Z had taken over the long course portion of the meet--the Z green was everywhere!

I had gone to Dominic's dive start and flip turn clinic a month before and was nervous about diving off the block (flip turns were out of the question). But by the time of my heat--the last one--I decided to go for it.

I was sooo glad I did because the diving start shaved about 10 seconds off my first lap! I went all out, going for the faster turnover and the more streamlined open turns swim coach Mark had taught me. I really pushed it -- it was "only" 1,650 yards, after all, a fraction of the thousands I was used to swimming!  


After 66 laps, I was done in 33:38, winning my heat and taking first place in my age group.  I averaged 1:01:23 per lap (chart below), swimming my first lap in 51.84, thanks to the diving in thing. It's still not as fast as I want to be, but I'll take it for now.







1 Kidd, Sally            51 FAIRFAX COUNTY M 40:00.00   33:38.90     
      51.84                   1:49.66 (57.82)
  2:48.30 (58.64)          3:49.45 (1:01.15)
  4:49.72 (1:00.27)        5:50.53 (1:00.81)
  6:52.70 (1:02.17)        7:51.89 (59.19)
  8:54.69 (1:02.80)        9:55.19 (1:00.50)
  10:54.95 (59.76)        11:54.90 (59.95)
  12:55.43 (1:00.53)      13:55.88 (1:00.45)
  14:58.31 (1:02.43)      16:00.64 (1:02.33)
  17:02.88 (1:02.24)      18:03.43 (1:00.55)
  19:05.65 (1:02.22)      20:06.55 (1:00.90)
  21:08.46 (1:01.91)      22:11.25 (1:02.79)
  23:14.04 (1:02.79)      24:14.77 (1:00.73)
  25:17.61 (1:02.84)      26:20.13 (1:02.52)
  27:23.18 (1:03.05)      28:27.39 (1:04.21)
  29:29.08 (1:01.69)      30:32.39 (1:03.31)
  31:34.46 (1:02.07)      32:37.67 (1:03.21)  33:38.90 (1:01.23)
 











No comments:

Post a Comment