Nicely stocked aid stations, peak fall foliage, and age-graded medals are just a few things that make this an ideal ultramarathon. The race venue is a pretty holiday location over Columbus Day weekend. The scenery of this rural road race is sure to be enjoyed by runner and crew. Be aware, this is a challenge. Everything from rolling to steep long hills, both up and down, will test the runners. However, if you prepare, you will be successful as these races have a high finish rate.
The course goes around the entire lake, with a total ascent/descent of 3,500 feet. Sounds doable, right? This was a tough decision. After ruling out the JFK and various single track mountain-runs-from-hell, I had narrowed it down to Can Lake and Tussey.
Tussey, with its dirt roads and shady course had loads of running "ambience;" however, I'd have to shave at least 20 minutes off last year's pace to make the cutoffs, so......yeah, not so doable.
Can Lake doesn't have as many hills, but it'll be a lot of pounding the pavement. What swayed me is the description of Can Lake as "beginner friendly." Even though I'm not exactly a beginner, it usually translates to "BOP friendly." And they let slow folk start an hour early...so I'll have 13 hours to finish the race. So, Can lake it is!!


No comments:
Post a Comment