Thursday, June 6, 2013

Small Craft Advisory!


May 5, 2013

The drive to Nanticoke took me across the Bay Bridge, and it gave me chills thinking about the big one coming up:   the Great Chesapeake Bay Swim is getting close!

Let me pause here for a quick Bay Swim Training Status Update:  I've been swimming all year, diligently following swim coach Mark's training plan just like last year. And, just like this time last year, I was headed for the eastern shore and the Nanticoke 3 miler. But unlike last year, I also added in some hardcore strength training, thinking that perhaps getting stronger will help me get faster. We'll see...


 
Looks nice and calm, doesn't it? Yeah, well it was anything but! The water was cranking! In fact, there was a "small craft advisory" in effect! The air temp was probably 49ish and a bit breezy.
 
I met Nicolas and Keri and we got all checked in and headed for the swim start to get in a practice swim. The water was a chilly  60 degrees. Most people were wearing long sleeve wetsuits. Just a few swimmers, including me, were in sleeveless. And a couple wore no wetsuits at all! Craziness!

The race was delayed, thanks to that small craft advisory, and the race director announced that we were waiting for the Coast Guard to give us permission to swim. Comforting to know that the river conditions were considered bad enough to warn boats to beware! And we were going for a swim? Yikes.
 

 
However, I wasn't concerned much at all about big waves or chop....it was the current and the cold I was focused on.

Finally, we were off and swimming! It seemed to take forever to reach the first buoy....and....well....it took forever to get to the second buoy. I was getting thrown around in the waves and kept trying to figure out the current. Fortunately the second buoy was a big boat with a bright green ball attached to it --easy to see; not so easy to get to!

I finally made the turn for the final buoy. Once there, we would then turn left for a second loop. This stretch didn't seem quite as rough, but I could tell the cold was getting to me. I couldn't ignore the chill settling into my bones. I was shivering...and that had me a bit worried about hypothermia. I mean, how do you really know you're in danger? Would I know soon enough to do something about it?

Checking my watch, I had been at this for well over an hour. I wasn't sure a second loop would be a smart move given how cold I was feeling. And, realistically, with the current coming in even stronger I knew my chances of making the full 3 without getting pulled were zero. This being a training swim, I was leaning toward calling it at 2 miles, but decided to make that decision once I got to the turn buoy.

Turns out, I didn't have to make the decision. As I was approaching the turn buoy, a kid on a paddleboard motioned to me to keep going straight. They were cutting the race to 2 miles. Yay! I was relieved. Bummed at not being able to swim the 3, but relieved that I could blame someone else for making the decision to cut it short! LOL

I finished in 1:38... Yep, pretty slow.  I got my bling and this cute little trophy for 3rd in my age group. Of course, there were only 3 people in my age group!


 
So ....until next Cinco de Mayo, adios Nanticoke amigos!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment