Saturday, June 8, 2013

Tis The Night Before The Bay Swim...

And there's this...

A Preemptive Advisory is in effect for June 7-9, 2013: After rainfall, all Anne Arundel County beaches are under a no swimming/no direct water contact advisory for at least 48 hours due to predicted elevated bacteria levels from rainwater runoff and increased health risks. Do not swim in cloudy, murky water. During the summer swim season, the Recreational Water Quality Monitoring Program will resume its routine sampling following the 48-hour period.

WARNING: The Department of Health warns that all natural bodies of water can contain bacteria, viruses or other harmful microorganisms and advises against swimming to any individual who has an ear infection, a perforated eardrum, open cuts, scratches or skin lesions, or a compromised immune system. Do not swim in water areas where there is a fish kill or where there are any dead animals.
A red alert from the county! LOL

First, we had Tropical Storm Andrea threatening to wash out the weekend, but thankfully the rain ended this morning. That coincided with mystery back pain that was bugging me all day. I finally convinced my back that I had done nothing to make it hurt and it stopped hurting by bed time.

Then, at 12:30 AM I awoke to Don yelling for help. I run downstairs and Boudreaux is having a seizure/stroke/something -- he was stumbling around, falling down, couldn't stand-- OMG! I rushed to get dressed to drive him to the emergency vet and his affliction magically disappears! He was wagging his tail, acting like nothing happened. So.....after watching him for awhile to make sure he's okay, I finally got to sleep at 2AMish.

Woke up at 5:30AM to drive Don to the airport....got home all keyed up and worried about the dog. Stayed awake until the vet opened and called to talk to doc. Diagnosis:  dog is getting old and these things happen. Okay...

Tried to nap on the couch and maybe got an hour in. Woke up feeling like my right ear was stopped up. Puhleez don't let me get an ear infection BEFORE the damn swim!

Then we get an email from Bay Organizer Woman informing us the swim "will go on"....and nonchalantly mentioning the above water quality advisory. She ends it telling us to "swim at your own discretion."  WTF?

Well, they aren't cancelling the swim, so how dangerous can it really be? Besides, I'm not sure any body of water can top the bacteria levels and other grossness in the Potomac! And after all of that quality pool time I suffered through, it will take more than a water quality advisory to stop me from swimming the bay!

Crises averted. I had my traditional pasta dinner and am now contemplating what time to head to  bed. Ay-yi-yi!

No comments:

Post a Comment