Sunday, July 20, 2014

Mad Marathon Race Report

July 6
How to describe the Mad Marathon? Let's see....scenic, hilly, hard, absolutely mad! The first 17 miles of the course seemed to be all uphill. Actually, there was a two mile downhill thrown in there, but sheesh! I hardly noticed it.

This race was yet another roll of the dice. I had only trained up to 17 miles...and had no idea how much the hills would slow me down. My game plan was to walk the uphills and run the rest. Success would be finishing under 8 hours. Crazy, I know.

The race was held in Vermont's Mad River Valley, with all its barns-in-the-country-charm. Why, even the path to the outdoor expo was a veritable floral showcase!
This being the Fourth of July weekend, everything was decked out in red, white, and blue.


We were in cow country, for sure! Silly Rabbit, AKA Carol "It's Only A Training Run" Shuford, is the reason I did this race. When she told me how pretty it is, I jumped on board. Her brother graciously let us stay at his home in Montpelier; all we had to do was show up!

Mooooo


We had an action-packed day before the race. First stop was the expo, where this helpful alert notified us of the "special" aid station at mile 22. So it looks like if you doubt you're 21, you should carry your ID to remind yourself...
From the expo we headed up the mountain to Sugarbush Ski Resort and took the ride to the top. I have zero experience with ski lifts, so it was a bit nerve-wracking getting on and off. Lot's of nervous laughter.


Saw some bikes on the way up too!

The view on the way down was amazing. That's the Sugarbush resort way down there at the end of the line.
 

Race Day! 

I kind of like jumping into the unknown, living on the edge of my comfort zone. This race definitely took me there! It would be the hilliest marathon I've ever run.  As we stood at the start line waiting to go, I wondered how it would all turn out. The next time I saw this piece of asphalt I would be headed for the finish line. Oh happy thought. 

Ready to rock it!

 Aaaannnnd we're off!!

We hit two covered bridges within the first few miles. So far, so good.
And then we hit the first loooong uphill.

 This being just a training run and all, we had to stop for a selfie in front of a covered bridge.


Now here's something I haven't seen in a race before! Ranchers who live along the route brought out a couple of bulls and some baby cows and let them stand right there on the side of the road! No fence, no....leash....just right there a few feet away from us. So naturally I had to stop for a pic! I'm trying to give him a kiss...


Notice how he tilts his head toward me?

The volunteers, the spectators --everyone was just so nice!
 
Here's how the rest of it went, written in rap in honor of the rappin' rabbits of Team Rabbit!
 
Cruising along on the highest runners' high
STUK was smiling and chatting and slapping high fives! 
The aid stations were stocked, the volunteers cheery
Except for this one guy-- he was grouchy and dreary!
The ultimate Scrooge --with a scowl and a frown
But STUK wasn't about to let him get her down!
"Hey thanks for waiting!" She jovially shouted
But Scrooge said nothing -- just stood there and pouted!
"Did you see a rabbit run by?" STUK said with a grin
Scrooge looked at her like he just lost his best friend!
She spotted some salt and said "I'll have some of this"
"All I need is a shot of tequila --now that would be bliss!"
But with Scrooge looking scroogier, STUK said "See ya later!"
And she thought to herself:  Ain't nobody got time for this hater!
 
 
Up, up, up to the top of the mountain they climbed
Until STUK finally said, "What the heck? Am I blind?"
"Where's the big downhill? WHERE IS IT?!" She cried
She was starting to think that maybe they lied!
 
"The Dip" - straight up, straight down. Pic doesn't do it justice! 

With the sun beating down at mile 22
She gulped down some Gatorade and popped another GU.
And before she knew it, she was feeling just fine!
Finally, the big downhill-- all the way to the finish line!
SRab was waiting to give STUK her cool bling
Mad Marathon in the books--and another state too! Cha-ching!

 


1 comment:

  1. STUK!!! I loved your rap! As you know it is on the Team Rabbit blog!

    ReplyDelete