With just two months to go to Can Lake, and our grueling, long August runs going full force, we were ready to ruuummmble at Riley's. A mere half marathon? Meh, child's play.
Or not. This race had some serious hills! But Carol, Nicolas, and I knew this going in...and we decided to incorporate it into a longer run. Carol "The Machine" Shuford was wrapping a 30-something run around Riley's. And I had 18 miles on my rogue training schedule.
We blasted off and pretty soon I was playing tag with an older man whose shirt read "Antique but still running.." And he was running ahead of me and was soon out of sight! I was in slow motion on those hills.
The quiet, rural roads...the green rolling hills...the easy camaraderie with the other runners... yeah, all of that was great. But THE BEST part of Riley's Rumble was the popsicles --AKA Electrolyte Freeze Pops!
I opted for the One-More-Hill-and-I'll-Collapse Cherry. Yum! Why don't other races do this?
The volunteers were amazing too... I loved this race!
At the 8 mile mark I still had a 10 mile run ahead of me. It was a rough one-- the humidity, the sore feet, the lack of energy. I suppose the mileage buildup is taking a toll! But it can always be worse, right?
Can Lake bound in two months.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment