Knowledge is power; ignorance is bliss. I could make an argument either way when it comes to researching the Chesapeake Bay Swim. After scaring myself reading blog postings about the Nanticoke River 3 miler, I was hesitant to delve into the wild world of the web for insight on the Bay Swim. I was sure to uncover harrowing accounts of monster currents, rogue waves, and desperate, failed attempts at making the cut offs.
I found some of that, yes, but also acquired lots of good advice. However, no amount of research would be complete without a field trip to the target location to suss it out for myself. It was time for a road trip!
| View of the Bay Bridge from Sandy Point |
So Priscilla and I launched our Bay Swim Reconnaissance Mission on Saturday, right after my 8,000 yard swim (epicness, woohoo! More about that later). We drove to Sandy Point State Park to check out the beach where the swim starts and get a look at the bay waters.
It looked just like the videos I had been watching on YouTube, no big surprise there. But there's something to be said for staring down the monster before you slay it, right? I mean, you have to face your fears before conquering them....or at least neutralizing them.
The water looked rough, much choppier than the Nanticoke. But I've been in roller coaster water before, so this I can do. And for some reason, it looked cold. Perhaps the swimmer in the long-sleeve wetsuit gave off that impression. But really, after surviving Mooseman, last year's Rumpus polar nightmare, and the frigid IMAZ swim, there's no way the bay can compare ...especially in June. There have been years when the bay water was around 80 degrees, so I've decided to cross water temp off my list of worries.
| Finish Line! Somewhere around here... |
Part Two of our Reconn Mission involved driving across the bridge to Hemingway's, where the finish line is! It's also where the Bay Swim One Mile Challenge starts and ends, which is what P will be doing. Thanks again to the YouTube videos, we were able to pinpoint where the finish line will be. The next time I see this shoreline, I will be swimming for the finish! Oh happy thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment