Thursday, May 17, 2012

8,000 In The Bank!

8,000 Yards = 4.5 Miles = 320 Laps = Farthest I've Ever Swam!!

My prep for the Bay Swim peaked on Saturday with the first of three 8,000 yard swims. This is what my workout looked like:
1,000
   900
   800
   700
   600
= 4,000 yards
Followed by 8 x 500s = 8,000 Total

I tried to keep a consistent pace on the 500s and was secretly trying to go fast (haha) but I could only manage a 2:18 pace. I managed to be consistent, yes, but consistently slow. And with no current or chop to factor in. I suppose this should make me nervous, but I've decided to wait and be nervous later. I don't want to waste my nervousness on a pool session! The freak-out moments need to be reserved for open water, right?

Checking the results for the 2011 Bay Swim, the last swimmer to finish came in at 3:14....which comes out to a 2:30 pace. I think that's doable for me....as long as the current isn't ridiculous!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Go Sally! I honestly can't imagine swimming that much. Ever.

    ReplyDelete