Monday, June 2, 2014

Jim McD 1 + 2 Mile Lake Swims

May 25


Memorial Day weekend. Two weeks before the Bay Swim. That means it's time for the Jim McDonnell Lake Swim! Once again, I had signed up for the 1 miler followed by the 2 miler.

After the crazy currents of Nanticoke, a lake swim seemed downright tame. But I still managed to get a case of the nerves, thanks to the overkill training I got in the week before the Jim McD. 

Out of town the weekend before Jim McD, I was going to have to find a way to squeeze in a long swim when I got back. That Tuesday I flew in to BWI, drove straight to the FedEx pool, and swam 8,000 yards. 

8,000 yards = 320 laps = 4.5 miles. Shew! It took me 3 hours, 15 minutes, but I got it done.

Then came swim practice on Thursday at Stone Ridge,where we now have a whopping 3 lanes instead of the usual 2.  For reasons that have nothing to do with speed, I wound up in the fastest lane with 2  guys who were easily swimming a pool length ahead of me. My lame attempts at keeping up with them actually resulted in  my fastest 100s this year. But I was wondering if I would pay for it at Jim McD.

Turns out I swam my fastest Jim McD times yet. Here's how it ended up:

1 Mile - 38:50, a three minute improvement over last year
2 Mile - 1:26:25, a four minute PR

So, another Reston swim in the bank. Next up: the Bay Swim!







 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the swims and the PRs, STUK! I love that shot of the lake, above! Hey, I see on your schedule you might do the Riley's Rumble Half - I did that before! Nice and hilly and perfect for CanLake training! Maybe SRab will do it as well? I'd make sure you have fluids on you - the year I did it (2004 I think?) they ran out!! It was so hot...I believe these are some roads we have biked on with Team Z before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I just looked the race up. Probably some of the same roads, but when I did it we started at Riley's Lock - so a different course. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete