Wednesday, January 1, 2014
Hello 2014!
What better way to start the new year than with a race-- the Resolution 5K in Leesburg. It was a cold but pretty run on the Movren Estate, with a few hills thrown in to keep us on our toes. My ankle tendon cooperated and I managed to average an 11:48 pace.
Speaking of pace....These first few months of 2014 will be all about getting faster. I signed up for the MCRRC's speed development program, which consists of track practice during the week and a long run on the weekend. Last winter's trail running program was a blast, but not a good option for someone working on speed.
I'm not big on making New Year's resolutions, but this being a new year and all, I suppose a few goals are in order. So, here goes:
1. Run a sub 31:00 5K by April
2. Bay Swim Redemption!
3. Be able to do 3 pull ups by June
4. Can Lake 50K-- finish while the sun is still shining!
In keeping with all the miles of suffering ahead, I'll wrap this up with a quote from Ultramarathon Man Dean Karnazes:
"Our ultimate calling is not to arrive at the finish line in a composed state, but rather to stagger in breathlessly, totally annihilated and on the verge of collapse, proudly knowing in our hearts that we have run our race, and it was glorious. Whether you end up with a medal being placed around your neck or an IV line being placed in your arm, the inner bliss is the same. You have waged your war and you have emerged victorious. You are content. If you are never to take another step, you will forever remain satisfied. The job is done. That is, until the next one..."
And there will always be a next one. Cheers to 2014!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment