Taper Psychosis (noun) ˈtā-pər \sī-ˈkō-səs: fundamental derangement of the mind characterized by defective or lost contact with reality, where one's beliefs do not match reality --- especially 10 days out from a major race.
It's funny how a taper really screws with the mind. For example, I've been imagining all kinds of problems with my feet. Some of the crazy thoughts circulating in my head:
- My heels don't have as much padding as they used to.
- Maybe I have a heel spur. Quick-- Google it! Yep. That's what it is.
- My shoes no longer seem right for my feet. Maybe my feet have changed. Maybe I should change brands. Maybe I should just run out tomorrow and pick up a pair of ....something....
- Should I put band-aids on my toes as a preventative measure before the race? Should I? Should I? No. Okay, yes. Wait-change that....
- What's up with my arch? Perhaps I'm getting Plantar Fascitis. Quick -- Google it! Yep. That's gotta be it. I'm screwed.
But the good news is, I've already gotten my sudden mystery illness out of the way. And, I've been honing my mental game--and it will win out over even the most severe bout with Taper Psychosis!
At this moment, ten days from now, I will be celebrating my Can Lake 50 finish!!

No comments:
Post a Comment