Saturday, October 5, 2013

7 and counting...

 Seven days to Can Lake!                                                       

For my final long run I had considered finding a new place to run, some out-of-the-way path with exotic flora and fauna---okay, skip the exotic part; anywhere with different scenery would be just fine. But where? I was too busy to figure it out. Besides, why go to all that trouble when I have a mere 7 miles on my training schedule?

So I decided it would be fitting to return to where it all began in April, the Rock Creek Hiker Biker Trail. I could do a little reminiscing and take stock of all the training I've put in for the big race--and boy have I logged some serious miles on this trail! I've gotten to know it very well. And oh, how I've suffered.

I had made up my mind at the beginning of this adventure that I would not be driving to Virginia every weekend for my long runs. That had been my M.O. for the past 9 years. But where would I find an adequate replacement for the Mt. Vernon Trail? Or the W&OD? Both paved trails stretch for miles and miles--perfect for long runs, but a bit of a drive to get there.

Doing some checking around, I discovered the Rock Creek Hiker Biker stretches much farther than I had originally thought:   from Lake Needwood in Rockville, all the way past the Mormon Temple and then across the DC line into Rock Creek Park. So I decided the RCHB would be my Can Lake training grounds. A new trail, fresh scenery, close to home.

For the first couple of months I stuck to the trail, running north one weekend and south the next to avoid getting bored. At first I wasn't sure I liked the RCHB. I wanted my old trail back. Maybe driving to Virginia wasn't such a big deal after all.

Pretty soon I discovered that the RCHB had a lot more to offer, all you have to do is pay attention. It connects to the cushy Georgetown Branch Trail, which turns into the Capital Crescent Trail....which leads to the C&O Canal Towpath and to the Key Bridge...which crosses over to the Mt. Vernon Trail...which you could take to Four Mile Run to connect with the W&OD--OMG, you could run hundreds of miles on these trails! And then you would come full circle, running back through Rock Creek Park to return to your car, parked way up in Maryland north of the Beltway. Hey, when you're logging 30+ miles, you can really do some traveling!

So, over many miles and months of training, I got to know and love my new trail. Its ample shade got me through summer's worst-- those days with 90% humidity and a 108 degree heat index. 

On my higher mileage days I would spend 8 hours on the RCHB and its connecting trails. During one epic day I ran all the way home to let the dog out, then ran back. (It's kind of weird showing up at your home without your car.)  And when it was time to add some serious hills into the mix I would venture into the neighborhoods near the Mormon Temple.

So today, 7 days out from the Can Lake 50, I want to say thanks, RCHB. I could've done it without you, but I would've had to spend more money on gas! Ha, just kidding. The RCHB rocks!









No comments:

Post a Comment