![]() |
| Pic courtesy of robaquatics.com |
On June 10th, I'll be splashing into the Chesapeake Bay with hundreds of other swimmers (all of them faster than me) for a 4.4 mile swim across the bay. This picture shows what the view from the water will look like as we swim between the twin bridges from Sandy Point State Park to the other side. I hear the current can be tricky, but let's hope it's at least this calm--this doesn't look too bad.
The entry process started a couple of months ago and it's done by lottery. So you throw your name in and then wait and, in my case, wonder if you will actually qualify if your name is chosen. Oh the suspense. Everything checked out and so here I am.
Of course, swimming is not my thing....so what the hell am I doing in a 4 mile bay swim, you ask. Well....after a few marathons, a couple dozen triathlons, and an Ironman, what more is there to do? This swim falls into the "There's No Way I Can Do That But WTH Why Not Give It A Try" category. It takes me out of my comfort zone, which is a scary but interesting place to be. And who knows? Maybe I'll surprise myself. That would be nice but it's going to take a lot of work!
So here's to taking the plunge and making it happen in 2012. Let the endless hours of lap swimming begin!

No comments:
Post a Comment