Thursday, June 18, 2015

Not Another Nanticoke!

May 3, 2015

 Yes, another Nanticoke. I had been planning to skip Nanticoke this year, but....well...where else would I get the open water practice?  However, I wouldn't be suffering through the 3 miler this time. In keeping with my 2015 theme of Setting Myself Up For Success, I opted for the 2 miler instead. Figured not DNFing that F'ing swim just might be a good confidence booster for the Bay.



Of course, the year I'm swimming the 2 miler is the year the conditions are uncharacteristically awesome. No small craft advisory to contend with, not a lot of chop, barely any current -- compared with the past three years, this was a Nanticoke miracle!

Adding to the Nanticoke fun this year was Carol, AKA STUR! She was more than ready to take on the 3 miler as prep for the Bay Swim.


The only negative thing I can say about the conditions this year is that the water, as usual, was c-c-c-cold! About 62 degrees. We went for a pre-swim swim to "warm up." 
Time to race! Looking at my fellow competitors, I was surprised to see such a small group this year. Where IS everyone?! 

Well...not much to report on this swim. I breezed through my single loop without incident, kicking myself for not signing up for the 3 miler instead. That'll teach me!
STUR sailed through her 3 miler, completing both loops with ease! We met up and headed for the post race BBQ - always a fun time hanging with everyone and watching the awards ceremony. And guess what? We both won! STUR picked up 3rd place in her age group (and her age group kicks butt!)
And me? I got first place in my age group! Of course, that's easy to do when you're the only one in your age group. Again, where was everybody?!
Here's a close up of the new addition to my beer pint glass collection!

Keeping it real here, despite my "easy" swim and age group "win", I didn't leave Nanticoke feeling more confident about the Bay Swim. No, I felt like a slacker. Like someone who had wimped out. Where was the go-for-it girl of year's past? Is finishing 2 miles better than trying--and possibly failing (again)--for 3? 

Maybe my 2015 Setting Myself Up For Success theme is not a good plan after all. Sure, the harder stuff makes it harder to succeed, but there's something to be said for trying and failing, and going back year after year to try again. That's what I've always done at Nanticoke...and it's what I did at the Bay Swim. This might have been the year I conquered Nanticoke, but I'll never know. Lesson learned. 

Now onward to the Bay!


No comments:

Post a Comment