2014 was the year I....
Ran two 50Ks and two marathons, gave the Bay Swim and Nanticoke another shot, and watched Carol finish her first 50 miler! Here's my 2014 medal haul:
I started 2015 doing what I love the most-- being outside! I decided to avoid the usual New Year's traditions and get away from it all.
No ball drop, no counting down to midnight, no Rose Bowl parade or cabbage and black-eyed peas. I just wanted to be out in Nowheresville, soaking up the scenery and blissfully hiking my way into the new year.
I had decided that Nowheresville would be Warm Springs, VA, a 3.5 hour drive from the DC bureau where I would be working New Year's Eve day. I had arrived at work with my car packed, directions printed out (gotta be prepared for poor cell reception), and a room waiting for me at the Inn at Gristmill Square. I couldn't wait for the clock to hit 6:05pm so I could blast out of DC on yet another big adventure.
Since I was a bit too late for the dinner party, I headed for the bar. Such a cozy place! Named for frontiersman Simon Kenton (apparent friend of Daniel Boone), it was a small hickory bar with four stools and fly-fishing decor on the walls. I was the only one there...and I loved having it all to myself! There was no one ringing in the new year near me, and that was just perfect!
Back in my room, this would be the first New Year's in at least three decades that I wasn't watching the ball drop and counting down to midnight. Loved it! Going rogue on NYE, yes indeedy. I did bring some wine and snacks...
When I awoke on New Year's Day I couldn't wait to get outside and check out the scenery. Temps were in the low 20's, but it was a blue-sky sunny day. A perfect day for an invigorating trek across new terrain.
I had several hiking options mapped out, and decided to go with the Blue Suck Falls trail at Douthat State Park for no other reason than I liked the name.
The trail is rated difficult, but it wasn't bad at all.A little over a mile up the trail is the waterfall, which was more of a trickle.
The circuit? I hadn't brought a trail map and was trying to figure out whether to follow them when, on cue, another couple walked up and asked if I was hiking the circuit.
Turns out The Circuit is a 9 mile loop that takes you up to the highpoint at Tuscarora Overlook, then down some steep switchbacks and through what they described as a "lush valley" back to the parking lot. Sounded good to me! I wasn't planning on hiking more than 6, but I had the whole day to kill, so why not?
One of the attractions on the way up is Overlook Rock. From here it's another mile to Tuscarora.
When I reached Tuscarora, I ran into the two couples I had met at Blue Suck Falls. They were hanging out, eating lunch and enjoying the view, which was spectacular!
There's a cabin at Tuscarora too. Nice place to hang for a few...
Five miles to go to complete The Circuit.
Down the steep switchbacks I went, down into the lush part where the trail narrowed and the foilage brushed my shoulders. The trail looked more like a jungle and I suddenly had the urge to run--so I did! Funny how running through the jungle can make you feel like you're being chased....and I looked over my shoulder a few times to make sure Big Foot wasn't after me. LOL
Finally made it back to the trail head parking lot. Circuit completed, New Year's Eve successfully ignored, New Year's Day traditions easily avoided, it was time to hit the road for the home.
No comments:
Post a Comment