Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Woodstock Groovin Freak 50K in Hell

September 6th

We found peace, love, and lot's of mud running at the Woodstock 50K in Hell, Michigan! Oh what a groovy time we had at this race.


Woodstock is a weekend running festival outside Pinckney, Michigan in a community called Hell. Yes, Hell!! And...Hell yeah!!

The race is on the Hell Creek Ranch and features a 16.6 mile loop on mostly single track trails with some dirt roads thrown into the mix.  There's also a "Natural Option" for those who truly want to run free!

There is so much to love about Woodstock!! And there's a race for everyone -- from 5K to 10K to half marathon, marathon, 50K, 50 miles, 100K, and 100 miles. Take your pick!

As the name implies, Woodstock takes its hippie-cool theme from the Woodstock music festival in New York in 1969. So you have to show up ready to get your groove on---and that's what we did!



Yes, we had to dress the part. Our hippie crew consisted of Running Squirrel, Sparkle Bunny and me, Righteous Pony.

We hit packet pick up on Friday. Running Squirrel won the costume contest for that day for "least recognizable,"  what with all that hair!


Of course, it wouldn't be a 2014 race without some rogue element thrown in to keep things interesting. I had originally signed up for the Freak 50K, figuring it would be the perfect max long run before Can Lake. However, Coach had me down for the Hippie Half, seeing as how the race fell on a recovery weekend. But who wants to go to Hell just to run a Half?! So Coach and I compromised and decided that I would do the Mellow Marathon.

At least that was the plan...until a couple weeks out. Mellow Marathon just sounded way too tame compared to the Freak 50K!  Right up until the day before the race I couldn't decide. Go for the longer race with the cool name? Or go with Coach's plan? I was torn!! I knew Coach was right; I should follow his advice. But the rogue part of me just wanted to do the Freak!  So...Freak 50K it was.



Race Day, Man. Far out!

Whoa, we look like a trio of drunks at a frat party in this pic! Either that or we look like we're in a haunted forest getting the bejesus scared out of us. Right on! F* the establishment! (okay...getting a little carried away with the hippie slogans...)





We hit the trails in the dark and slogged our way through the soupy mud. It had stormed the night before, turning the trails into a sticky, mucky, mess.

I couldn't believe the hundos (hundred milers, like our new buddy Ron with the red, white & blue beard below) had been running all night in this slop!

The hundos' race kicked off in the heat of the afternoon the day before, while we were picking up our packets.  And while they ran through the pouring rain all night, we were sleeping all comfy at the hotel!

But back to our race...

For us Freaks, the first few miles in the dark were indeed pretty freaky. We were running single file--trying to run, that is, without tripping. Most of us had on headlamps, but it was still hard to see where we were stepping! Finally....the pack started to spread out and the sun came up. We could finally see the trail and the forest surrounding it.

The single track was pretty tame....but I knew I wouldn't be breaking any personal speed records with all those hillz.  Speedy Lane? Ha!

Sparkle Bunny and I were taking it slow...figuring we would negative split this thing!



Approaching the end of the first loop I could hear the band playing -- they had quite the party going on at the finish line! That gave me a huge boost. I spotted Sparkle Bunny's husband, Space Pilot, and we exchanged high fives.

Loop 2

After fueling up, Sparkle Bunny and I headed out for Loop 2. I was thinking, man I am so glad I went for the full Freak 50K. Why? Because I just love to run. I love it. And the more I can run, the happier I get.

Approaching mile 23ish, we ran into a detour. There was a massive beehive up ahead! We had passed it on our first loop and it was buzzing with activity, BIG TIME.  I thought about going rogue here and busting through the "barricade." I'm not allergic! What's the big deal?! But....venturing off the trail into the woods for an unscripted detour seemed like more of an adventure. So...detour it was! 


 My runner's high began to vanish by mile 27. I had had enough! Enough of the hillz and the mud. Enough of this endless trail that just kept going. I was so over it! It's scary how quickly your mood can tank! But I knew it was all in my head. This was just a training run, after all. Suck it up, Righteous Pony.

A few twists and turns later I ran into this oh so cool volunteer and she cheered me right up!

By this point, Running Squirrel had been finished for a few hours....and Sparkle Bunny had motored well ahead of me. But FINALLY, as I approached the 10 hour mark (!), I could hear the finish line band and I kicked up the pace and cruised on in!
Peace sign bling in hand, we had to recreate our drunken frat party pose:

We celebrated with a big fat dinner at a place called Jack's. I cracked up at the sound of my voice ordering a "half slab of ribs" --not my usual fare. LOL  Just look at this pile of meat!! I destroyed it, yes indeed.


Well, Woodstock was a blast. Maybe the most fun I've had at a race all year! Thanks Sparkle Bunny for the idea...and Space Pilot for driving us around and cheering us on.

Sitting there with my slab of ribs and supersize beer, staring off into oblivion....What the hell could I possibly be thinking here? Wistfully relishing the journey? Reliving the good times on the trail? Contemplating the taper to come?

 Oh HELL NO.  All I could think was:  this was a groovy race, man, but I'm ready to collapse!! Peace out!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment