Thursday, May 1, 2014

Pikes Peek 10K

April 27th

I've spent every Tuesday night for the past four months sprinting around a track, doing hill repeats, and trying to stay warm. When it was snowing, we ran. When the wind chills were close to zero, we ran. When the freezing rain was coming down, we ran. When the track was covered in snow and closed, we ran around a parking lot a couple of blocks away.

Now it was time to see if all that winter suffering...er, speed work...would pay off. The Pikes Peek 10K would be our big test!

The weather was sweet - temps in the 50's and sunny skies, with a slight tail wind all the way to the finish line. Yes!

I was ALL kinds of amped up about smashing my 10K PR--- until I looked it up that morning on Athlinks.  At the Jingle All the Way run in 2009 I supposedly ran a 10:27 pace. Whaa?? I don't remember that. Maybe it's a mistake?!

Anyway... I figured a 10:27 pace would be impossible, so I decided to try to beat my next fastest 10K time, which was my 11:22 pace at Two Rivers in March.  But secretly, I was really hoping to run an 11 minute pace or  maybe just a little under. And secretly, I didn't really think I could do it. But I tried to keep both of those thoughts a secret from myself. LOLOL


The course runs down Rockville Pike from Shady Grove to White Flint Mall. You're mostly running downhill, but there are a few annoying hills along the way.
I made the mistake of not wearing a water belt (it's only a 10K!) and regretted it because it got hot during the race. They had two water stops, which helped. Note to self:  Practice running and drinking.

I really pushed myself to try to stay ahead of the 11 minute pace guy...and tried to keep the 10:30 guy in sight. The last two miles I just wanted to slow the pace but OMG--I kept pushing. Sheesh! In fact, the entire 6 miles I was uncomfortable and felt like I was running too fast and would bonk any minute.
So happy to see the finish line!

I was happy with my finish time -- which came out to a 10:35 pace, my fastest 10K in 5 years! Not a PR, but I'll take it. I think the winter speed work REALLY paid off!! Hallelujah.



No comments:

Post a Comment