Saturday, August 10, 2013

Redemption!

 
Maryland Swim for Life 4 Miler
July 13, 2013
Goal:    Under 3:30                                        Actual: 2:51

I couldn't let my Bay Swim DNF stand without making a try for redemption, so I quickly signed up for the next 4 miler I could find, the Swim for Life in Chestertown, Maryland.

Now, you would think that a person hell-bent on redemption after a big fat DNF would be flocking to the pool for some quality lap time....but I managed only a pathetic attempt at that. In fact, my longest swim since the Bay was 2500 meters, not even half the distance I would be swimming in the Chester River, and hardly adequate for a person who flirts with cutoffs as often as I do.

Let's just call it an extended taper and leave it at that.

This was a really laid back swim and I loved that about it. There were 1, 2, 2.4, 3, 4, and 5 mile options. You swim up (or down?) the river to your particular turn buoy, then swim back. Nothing too complicated; no big bad current or waves to deal with. 


The 5 milers went first, then it was our turn. I tried to keep up with the pack, but that lasted about 30 seconds; everyone pulled ahead of me. Pretty soon the 3 milers passed me....and then some of the 2.4 milers...and I settled in for the duration. The first half of the swim was with the current and I was cruising at a nice clip to the turn around buoy. A bit of current kicked in on the way back, but after fighting the Bay Swim current, this was child's play.

I had 3.5 hours to swim 4 miles and figured I would be cutting it close. But with no big fat current to deal with, I managed a 2:51.  Yay!


Check out the duct tape
The post-swim party was fun! We ate some bar-b-que, drank Diet Coke, and hung out near the Boat Bar. Ah, sweet redemption! And with only 3 people in my age group, I wound up getting 3rd place.
 
Now on to the Can Lake 50!
 
 
 

 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment