It's April and you know what that means -- tri season is here! It's happening! It's NOW! Extra daylight, Tuesday hill repeats, nice Wednesday weather for track and boot camp, Thursdays at Hains Point, long runs and rides with the team OUTSIDE. wooohoo--
Whoa, whoa, WHOA! Just hold on a minute. I'm pumped, but just not sure I'm ready! Why, how could that be, you ask? I've been signing up for races, compuWTFing my butt off, swimming thousands of yards, signing up for more races...let's see, what else? Running?
Ummmm, no.
Hello, Sally? You're doing a 50 MILER for crying out loud! Put on those new running shoes, get your lame self out the door, and start logging some miles! Get your act together, dear. You don't have the luxury of slacking off. Not even in the Alleged Year of Fun!
So...here's how the first training weekend of the new season went:
SATURDAY: SWAM WITH THE PERFECT PEOPLE
You know those perfect people. They make it all look so easy, so effortless, so....so....PERFECT. No doubt I was hoping some of their perfectness would rub off on me when I met them at the PG pool in the morning.
Smart Me: Got there an hour before the perfect people so I could get a couple thou out of the way and maybe finish around the same time as them.
Goofy Me: Swam that entire hour with my swim cap on sideways but didn't realize it until one of the perfect people pointed it out. LOL
Brilliant Me: Conducted underwater surveillance to analyze the perfect people's stroke technique.
Lame Me: Tried to copy their technique, but....well... Ha. Ha.
Happy Me: Got in my full 6,000 yards = mission accomplished!
Silly Me: Thought I was going to breeze through a 10 mile trail run after that. Collapsed on the couch instead.
SUNDAY: 23 MILE RIDE + AN EXTRA 6 OR SO
I was planning to wow myself with my new biking prowess after all that compuWTFing over the winter...but...well...I was unimpressed. I didn't notice myself cruising effortlessly up the hills. I wasn't drafting off the cool kids in the "A" group. Or even the "B" group, for that matter! I felt like I was in same old, same old mode; typical BOP stuff.
But how would I know? How would I know how fast I was even going without my computer? The Ironman Effect was in full effect as I cavalierly forgot my computer-- and my watch. Duh. So I had no idea how fast or slow I was going. On top of that, I made a wrong turn and added about 6 miles to the ride.
A less than stellar performance by me on our training season opener. But I still had fun! Chalk one up for the Year of Fun. And let's face it, I needed the extra mileage, so I did myself a favor. There's nowhere to go from here but up (as usual). So bring it on!
No comments:
Post a Comment